Most fires in homes are caused by electricity. Simple things to remember are
- Switch off appliances when not in use.
- Plug out appliances when going away on holidays.
- Unplug or switch off any appliance that feels warm to touch.
- If switches or sockets are warm to touch turn them off immediately and contact an electrician.
- If you get an unusual smell from switches or sockets turn them off.
- Look for signs of discolouration on swithes and sockets, this is a sign of a problem.
- Look out for pitting or discolouration on plugs.
- If you have an electrician working in your home ask them to check the connections in your fuse board.
Image on right shows what can be going on behind switches and sockets.