Emergency & First Aid: Electric Shock: First Aid for Electric Shock Emergency Conditions
Electric shock occurs when an electric current flows through the body. The human body is made up of 60% to 70% water. This makes it a good conductor of electricity. Burns, damage to internal organs, heart rhythm problems, and death can result from electric shock.
Signs & Symptoms
Shocking sensations. Numbness or tingling. A change in vision, speech, or in any sensation.
Burns or open wounds. These occur where the electricity enters and exits the body.
Muscle spasms or contractions.
Sudden immobility or fractures. A body part may looked deformed.
Interrupted breathing. Irregular heartbeats or chest pain.
A small child who bites or sucks on an electric cord can have a facial injury or distinct burn around the rim of the mouth.
Electric Shock can cause tissue damage under the skin’s surface.
via Emergency & First Aid: Electric Shock: First Aid for Electric Shock Emergency Conditions.