Low voltage halogen lighting produces a lot of heat in the ceiling area. If the lamps are not installed properly or if they are covered by insulation a potential fire risk is present. I was called to a home because the lights were not working. I have come across this problem on numerous occasions. Either the transformer or cables have been burnt. LED lighting is a much safer alternative. Have a look at the transformer I removed from the ceiling in this customers home. The transformer was too close to the lamp.
Although LED lights are more expensive to instal initially, they more than pay for themselves over a couple of years. They use 10 times less power than halogen lamps on average and they last up to 10 times longer.