Prevent Electrical Fires at Home

Prevent Electrical Fires at Home

Posted on May 9, 2013 by Briana McDonald — 1 Comment ↓

On a sick day from work, I had been talking to my grandmother when our dishwasher  suddenly burst into flames. Thankfully, the electrical fire didn’t spread and actually defused itself before the firemen arrived. Apparently it was due to our wiring: we had plugged the dishwasher into an extension chord years ago when we had first installed it.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, 280 Americans lose their lives to electrical fires in the home every year. There are an average of 26,000 electrical fires yearly, resulting in $1 billion of property loss.

Electrical fires are typically caused by what seem to be minor details in wiring, causing them to be so common. However, there are simple tips that will help lower the chance of an electrical fire in your home.

via Prevent Electrical Fires at Home.